[Cocci] Moving a function body to an other source code place with SmPL

SF Markus Elfring elfring at users.sourceforge.net
Mon May 14 17:12:52 CEST 2018

>> It would be occasionally nice if an implementation of a function could be
>> completely stored into a metavariable.
>> Is a statement list variable appropriate for this use case?
>
> Yes.

Thanks for your acknowledgement that it should usually work.

I have noticed a moment ago that a blank line is not marked by the SmPL
asterisk operator (for a small source code example) so far.

Can such whitespace characters be also preserved there anyhow?

>> Can these data be moved to an other function (or macro definition)?
>
> Yes.  A statement list variable can be added anywhere a list of statements
> is allowed, ie not necessarily as the complete body of a block.

How will the software behaviour evolve if I stumble on the message
“Fatal error: exception Coccinelle_modules.Common.Timeout” after passing
the parameter “--timeout 123” for a change attempt with a C++ source file?
(Am I too impatient here?)