[Cocci] Checking for consistency of the version data by the software build system

SF Markus Elfring elfring at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Oct 12 17:17:45 CEST 2017

Hello,

The following command was executed on my test system again.

elfring at Sonne:~/Projekte/Coccinelle/20160205> make distclean && git checkout master && git pull && ./autogen && ./configure && echo "$(./version.sh)" && grep VERSION=1 Makefile.config
…
1.0.6-00335-g6e5973d4
VERSION=1.0.6-00318-g0bf53049

An essential build script contains the macro call “AC_INIT(…, m4_esyscmd([./version.sh]), …)”.
https://github.com/coccinelle/coccinelle/blob/436cc65a41ce2c5885cc7f1ee09b6c14fac1981c/configure.ac#L6

So I would expect that the determined version data will be immediately reused
in generated files. But I notice the shown mismatch occasionally.
Do you observe also similar differences in other software build environments?