[Cocci] Remove unnecessary null pointer checks?

Julia Lawall julia.lawall at lip6.fr
Wed Feb 26 21:35:12 CET 2014

> I get an interesting result for example. Do you find it useful?

I checks on the three examples.  They seem technically correct, in that
the called function does immediately do a null test on the argument value.
Personally, I still think that the null test at the call site conveys
useful information, so I would rather have it there, but others may think
differently.

On the other hand, you should not be using linux-stable when working on
the Linux kernel.  Patches should apply to linux-next, ie the very latest
version of all of the code.

If you are convinced that dropping the null tests is a good idea, then you
can submit the patch that makes the change to the relevant maintainers and
mailing lists.  Use scripts/get_maintainers.pl in the Linux kernel to find
out who to sent it to.  And study the documentation on submitting patches
very carefully.

> The log file contains messages like 'EXN:Invalid_argument("equal: abstract
> value")'. Do they need further considerations?

This is an unfortunate constraint on the use of PCRE regular expressions.
I will try to track it down.  Thanks for the report.

> Is this intermediate source code analysis result good enough to expand the
> constructive discussion to a mailing list like "kernel janitors"?

I don't think people on the mailing list want to discuss the issue in a
general sense.  They just want patches, and may comment on them.