[Cocci] Coccinelle and token concatenation (##) preprocessor macros

Julia Lawall julia.lawall at lip6.fr
Mon Dec 22 07:15:55 CET 2014

On Sun, 21 Dec 2014, Jim Barlow wrote:

> Hello,
> I'm trying to get coccinelle working with libressl (an openssl fork). It
> seems to have trouble with the following (admitted atrocious) macro which
> directs the compiler to declare a struct with an arbitrary name.
>
> Here's an example:
>
> typedef struct stack_st {
> int num;
> char **data;
> int sorted;
>
> int num_alloc;
> int (*comp)(const void *, const void *);
> } _STACK;
>
> #define STACK_OF(type) struct stack_st_##type
>
> #define DECLARE_STACK_OF(type) \
> STACK_OF(type) \
>     { \
>     _STACK stack; \
>     };

It is this code, not the ## that it doesn't like.  It doesn't recognize
STACK_OF(type) as a type.  Coccinelle (mostly) doesn't expand macros, even
if they are immediately available.  The goal is that patterns should be
written in terms of the code that one sees, and not the result of macro
expansion.

What is the actual problem?  Is it that you want to transform C code that
contains STACK_OF(xxx)?  If so, it could be reasonable to add

#define STACK_OF(x) struct x

to your standard.h file.  You can also make a separate file and provide it
with the command-line argument --macro-file mymacros.h.

julia