[Cocci] "virtual rule patch not supported"

Nicolas Palix nicolas.palix at imag.fr
Fri Mar 15 15:49:57 CET 2013

Hi,

On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 9:47 AM, Julia Lawall <julia.lawall at lip6.fr> wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Mar 2013, Brice Goglin wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> I am running the kernel 3.9-rc2 coccicheck script on some of my module,
>> and I get the following message:
>>   virtual rule patch not supported
>
> I guess it doesn't crash?  It is possible that some semantic patch just
> doesn't support the patch option.  I don't remember if it is possible to
> specify several options, and to have them tried in order?  That could be a
> nice feature.  If not, I think that there is an option that tries all of
> the options in a fixed order.  Nicolas?

According to the cocci files, every coccicheck mode could not be proposed.
It is indeed some time impossible to propose a bug correction because
several options are available for a single bug report and the semantic
patch is not designed to choose one.

The current basic modes are: patch, report, context, org
The 'chain' mode tries the following mode is order: patch || report ||
context || org.
Recently, the 'rep+ctxt' mode have been added for report and context modes.

If you haven't specify the mode, it defaults to chain. The patch mode
is thus tried first.
If it fails, coccicheck falls back to the report mode.

The following command will give you the available modes for each cocci file
distributed with the Linux kernel

      find scripts/coccinelle -name *.cocci -exec grep -H virtual \{} \;

Hope it helps.

Regards.

--
Nicolas Palix